As one of Florida’s most glamorous oceanfront wedding destination, The Breakers Palm Beach is where dream weddings are made. From the grandeur of the building’s façade to the multiple amenities and activities available, this luxury resort provides a true getaway for couples and their guests, who can celebrate an entire wedding weekend without ever having to leave the property. Caroline Scarpinato, Director of Event Sales at The Breakers Palm Beach, shares more about planning a dream wedding at this iconic Floridian location.
GO: How would you describe the architectural style of your property and what was the inspiration behind the design?
A: The Breakers is situated on 140 acres of oceanfront property on the island of Palm Beach, Florida. It is recognized as one of America’s most iconic resorts, offering an unforgettable setting for private events, customized celebrations and destination weddings.
Founded in 1896 by magnate Henry M. Flagler (and is still in the hands of his heirs today), this Italian Renaissance-style hotel was inspired by the Villa Medici in Rome. The architecture, intricate details and frescoed ceilings can be found throughout the hotel’s expansive public spaces, and the interior design continues to evolve, exuding the relaxed, sophisticated lifestyle of Palm Beach.
Each year, an investment averaging $25 million in capital improvements and ongoing revitalization, balances preservation and modernization, allowing for the continuous introduction and enhancement of amenities and services.
GO: Is there a type of wedding that fits best with your venue? (i.e. Traditional, glamorous, bohemian, rustic, etc.)
A: Details are tailored to each couple’s preferences and expectations. We deliver events that are exceedingly fabulous and fun, whether an intimate ceremony, an extravagant celebration or a casual brunch. The breadth and depth of our property naturally brings out the best of every wedding style or theme.
GO: What spaces are available for ceremonies and receptions and what facilities, restaurants, or catering options do you have available for wedding week events?
A: The Breakers indulges its wedding clientele with a timeless atmosphere of relaxed elegance, from its magnificent interiors to its artfully designed landscapes. As a single destination, we offer numerous settings for our couples. The property features 80,000 square feet of flexible, beautifully appointed venue space, which includes majestic ballrooms, an oceanfront lawn overlooking the Atlantic, and picturesque courtyards with lush tropical foliage.
Whether clients are looking to celebrate with an intimate ceremony of 50 or a grand affair for 500, the weddings and celebrations our team creates are marked by their striking settings, world-class service and thoughtful, indulgent details. Our one-of-a-kind backdrops set the perfect stage for each couple’s celebration.
For a more casually-chic experience, the property also offers ten restaurants, ranging from relaxed beachfront to stylishly sophisticated, and a variety of outdoor spaces, perfect for welcome dinners or a post-wedding farewell brunch.
Complementing The Breakers hotel is Breakers West Country Club, a scenic, residential and recreational sanctuary situated only 10 miles away.
GO: When is your busiest time of year, and how far in advance does a couple need to reserve a wedding date?
A: Various factors such as seasonal periods, desired event space(s) and duration of celebration can factor into how far in advance a couple should reserve their date. Our experts recommend at least nine months in advance or more.
GO: Have you noticed any recent trends?
A: We have seen an increase in inquiries for both longer lead and short-term weddings, as well as bookings for Friday and Sunday weddings and for off-season dates (June - October). In addition:
- We have experienced increased demand for outdoor venues and wedding spaces, which are available year-round, including our multiple courtyards, gardens, terraces, ocean lawns, patios and restaurants.
- Our upscale clientele is investing in longer-stay and multi-event destination weddings. They are also allocating attention to decor, menus, etc., to facilitate a more intimate wedding experience.
- We have hosted “hybrid” in-person/virtual weddings and expect this trend to continue. Our in-house Audio Visual team can assist with all the details in bringing a wedding ceremony and celebration to those who are unable to attend in person.
GO: Food is such an important element at a wedding. Tell us about your menu customization – does your team specialize in any specific cuisine?
A: The Breakers stands alone with unmatched quality and versatility in cuisine, presentation and service. Our award-winning chefs and Master Sommeliers are passionate professionals with extraordinary talents and capabilities, who deliver resoundingly flavorful, world-class dining experiences. Our on-site experts produce everything from custom-created menus, and wedding cakes and desserts, to specially curated wine and cocktail presentations.
Our retail division can also source unique gifts and amenities. The entire staff flawlessly executes the entire experience.
GO: Are accommodations and buyouts available? What is the capacity limit?
A: The Breakers offers 538 guest rooms and suites, but for Palm Beach’s VIP lodging experience, there is Flagler Club – an ultra-exclusive boutique hotel nestled atop the resort. Like an intimate inn within a grand estate, this private-access hotel features 25 guest rooms that overlook the Atlantic or offer stunning resort views, a dedicated staff, as well as premium amenities. Flagler Club is perfectly poised for wedding party buyouts and is based on availability.
The Flagler Club experience includes:
- Advance itinerary planning, provided upon booking
- Courtesy, private car service for arrival and departure from Palm Beach International Airport; access to chauffeured house car service in Flagler Club’s Tesla
- Guestrooms feature best-in-class PranaSleep Super Vinyasa adjustable bedding, Frette bed linens and robes, valet pressing services and an in-room refrigerator stocked with complimentary beverages
- A private lounge and outdoor terrace offer breathtaking views of the surrounding area and sunset
- Sensational food and beverage around the clock (elevated breakfast, light bites throughout the day, pre-dinner appetizers, global tapas and evening sweets)
- Premium bar with top-shelf spirits, craft beers, a Master Sommelier-curated wine & Champagne list and a selection of non-alcoholic and healthy libations
- A dedicated Flagler Club staff committed to guest fulfillment, personalization and privacy
GO: Are onsite wedding planners available for the wedding process?
A: Our Event Sales Managers are exceptional at working with each couple to select the perfect spaces for their celebrations. They are able to assist with all event planning needs, room reservations and coordinating personalized menus and a custom cake (included within our wedding packages) with our incredibly talented team of culinary professionals and pastry chefs. They can also recommend expert wedding planners, and other creative vendors from our Exclusive Event Partners list to help plan each and every detail for your wedding day.
GO: What type of activities are available for guests to partake in during a wedding weekend?
A: The Breakers offers couples and their guests everything they could possibly desire without ever having to leave the property.
Wedding parties can:
- Soak up the sunshine on our private beach, at one of our four oceanfront pools or in a luxurious bungalow
- Snorkel the reef located just a few fin kicks from shore or choose from a variety of on-site watersports
- Dine at each of our ten acclaimed restaurants
- Relax at our exquisite, five-star spa
- Get a quick workout in at our indoor-outdoor Ocean Fitness center
- Play tennis or enjoy a round of golf on one of two championship courses
- Take a leisurely bike ride or stroll along Palm Beach’s Lake Trail
- Shop throughout 14 signature boutiques
- Explore the Family Entertainment Center, offering an assortment of activities for children
- And so much more...
GO: What are some nearby attractions that guests can visit?
A: Looking to explore Palm Beach and the surrounding area? Guests may enjoy an array of attractions and activities on the island and throughout the community.
Some of our favorites:
- Via Flagler by The Breakers
- Flagler Museum
- Kravis Center for the Performing Arts
- Norton Museum of Art
- Four Arts Gardens
- Royal Poinciana Plaza
- Worth Avenue
Visit weddingsbythebreakers.com for more information.